Cherish Yesterday...Dream Tomorrow...Live Today

Sunday, September 16, 2012

Guess What I Painted.....


I love denim shirts.  They are so versatile.  I decided to paint some classic country motifs on just a plain chambray shirt.  I followed a pattern in an old paint book I came across.  You just add textile medium to ordinary acrylic craft paint and it is there for life!  As anybody who has tried to remove paint from their clothes knows, I think the textile medium isn't to make it permanent-that isn't necessary.  It makes it softer so it doesn't crack.  It moves with the fabric better.  These motifs were relatively easy-not much shading needed.  You could use a stencil if you aren't a painting kind of crafter.  After I painted the shirt, I had my husband cut out matching wood pieces to the items I had painted.  I painted those and let them dry. 


Then I added metal button cover findings I bought at my craft store.  I was really happy with how everything turned out.  You could buy small wood cut outs at your craft store that match your button up shirt.  Or you could just buy plain wooden discs or other shapes and decorate them with paint and beads and put these button cover findings on the back.  What a great way to personalize a plain shirt.  Just make sure you take the button covers off before you wash your shirt! 



I thought I would show you this other shirt I made a while back.  I bought a plain denim shirt and some crochet cotton doilies.  I used fabric glue to attach the doilies to the pockets and collar.  Then I added buttons from my collection.  I thought this approach made it really feminine. 

In my continuing admiration of the Pioneer Woman Ree Drummond's baking prowess, I made her homemade granola bars .  They were amazing and I usually could care less about granola bars.  I did not dip them in chocolate as she suggested but they were very tasty just the same.  A cold glass of milk and it was a very yummy snack and quite healthy with the wheat germ and all. 

Well, I am heading off to bed as another long school week will start tomorrow.  Take care everyone. 
Nancy  

3 comments:

  1. Lovely makeovers of those denim shirts Nancy!!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are soo sweet! Love your country motifs and the lacy buttons are adorable!
    Thanks for sharing with the Pink Hippo Party~
    xoxo
    Amie @ Pinkapotamus

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I am heading off to bed as another long school week will start tomorrow. Take care everyone.
    bedspreads for king size bed
    extra large super king bedspreads

    ReplyDelete