Cherish Yesterday...Dream Tomorrow...Live Today

Monday, January 16, 2012

Snow, Snowmen and Taco Soup

You know how I was complaining that I wanted snow?  Well, we got it with a vengeance Friday!  It wasn't so much a blizzard with foot after foot of snow, it was zero visibility, layer of ice under the snow, freezing rain turning to snow weather.  What you see is a picture taken from my front porch.  I know-not so much quantity-just quick as a flash "here it is with all the trimmings" !  My husband and two sons were out snow blowing and shovelling Friday afternoon and cleaning up decks and shovelling a walkway for our poor dog to relieve herself throughout the weekend.  Me-I baked and crafted. 


This is a fun snowman I painted for my collection.  I love the primitive style.  I got the idea from a painting book I have by Karen Lamp.  It is "Simple Gatherings and Glad Tidings".  If you are a tole painter, you should take a look at this book.  There are quite a few ideas for several seasons.  She put a hat and stick arms on her snowman.  I just went with the scarf.  I am thinking it needs a stand, though.  It has to lean against the wall because it is quite heavy and tips easily.  I will probably just glue a little block of wood behind it to steady it.  I am sure hubs has some scraps in his wood shop.  I have several other snowman craft ideas in the works.  This time of year is all about the snowmen for me!  I am looking for a cute snowman garland idea for my mantle.  Let me know if you have one or have seen one.

       
I made a really good taco soup recipe.  The flavor is really unique because of the addition of a second seasoning packet.  Brown 2 lbs. ground beef in a soup pot.  Put the browned beef in a big bowl and drain most of the fat.  Add a little olive oil to the fat and sweat out a large onion, a couple of ribs of celery and a couple of peeled carrots-all chopped.   Return meat to the pot when the veggies are almost tender.  Add a 15oz can of kidney beans, a 14 1/2 oz. can diced tomatoes, 1 packet taco seasoning mix, 1 packet Hidden Valley Ranch dry dressing mix and 3 cups water.  Simmer for about an hour. Serve with shredded cheese and sour cream.  The ranch really adds a unique tang to it. 

I notified the winner of my scalloped bag giveaway.  Thanks to all of you new followers.   I hope you all are staying warm and cozy wherever you are.  Happy crafting, cooking, and creating!  Take care.   Nancy 

7 comments:

  1. Hi there Nancy!
    So far we've only had light dustings here in MD but its cold here. We probably will get some this week so I'm busy sewing and getting into fun things. Staying warm and trying to enjoy the winter. Really hoping for Spring to come though.
    Check out this link to get some ideas for a snowman garland. I like the one you made & I'll have to try that recipe. yum
    See you again soon,
    susie

    http://www.thefind.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that's some good snow you've got there! and that taco soup looks really tasty!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. This would be perfect for the cold weekend we're supposed to get. Again.

    Thank-you so much for taking the time to share at our Pin'Inspiration party this week. I really hope that you can take part in my "Beat the Winter Blues" party on Saturday. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great post...even though you're making me hungry!!
    Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays! I hope you'll be back again tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoah this weblog is wonderful i really like reading your posts.
    Keep up the good work! You understand, lots of individuals
    are searching around for this information, you could help them greatly.


    my webpage; Social bookmarking Service

    ReplyDelete