Cherish Yesterday...Dream Tomorrow...Live Today

Sunday, January 22, 2012

A Cute Snowman and Breakfast For Dinner

Happy Sunday evening everybody.  I had a busy but enjoyable weekend.  I made this cute snowman for my fireplace hearth out of terra cotta pots.  I found this in a magazine years ago and bought the pots, and as with many things, I didn't complete it.  By keeping this blog, I am spurred on to finish projects I have stuck in limbo.  Anyway, I had my husband spray paint the pots white over at his shop where there is ventilation, unlike my craft room.  Then I painted on a face and used homespun to fashion a scarf and hat.  I sewed cute whimsical snowflake buttons on the hat and glued on black buttons to look like coal lumps.  I really like it.  I can't believe originally, I planned on putting this on my front porch.  Somehow I don't think it would have survived the winter.

 In my continuing joy of having breakfast for dinner, I have to share this yummy recipe for peppers, onions and eggs.  It is rustic and filling and has been very well-received here at my house.  All you need to do is heat some olive oil in a big skillet and add 2 sliced and chopped red bell peppers and one chopped onion.  Cook them until very tender.  Add a 14 1/2 oz. can of diced tomatoes with the juice,  1 teaspoon smoked paprika, salt and pepper.  Cover and simmer until the liquid has slightly thickened, about 5 minutes.  Make 6 indentations with the back of a spoon and crack an egg into each.  Cover and cook over medium heat for about 3 minute until whites are set.  This will give you runny yolks, which was my desire.  However, I was quite leery of uncooked, jiggly whites and ended up overcooking the eggs and the yolks were solid the first time I made this dish.  Believe it or not, it was good anyway!  This last time I made it, I got lucky and the eggs were perfect.  I made homemade berry muffins and toasted up some bakery sourdough bread.  Add some fresh fruit and you have a great dinner. 

 I wanted to include a picture of my sweet pooch who will be 13 years old this summer.  As you can see, she is really gray but she is doing pretty well, all things considered.  Our vet told us at her last check-up that her life expectancy is around 12 but because she is in such great condition, she could live to be 14.  I hope so.  I don't ever want to see her suffer and stick around for us, but we will be devastated when her time comes.  My youngest son is her major caretaker and he is so good and patient with her.  He is graduating this June and we got her as a 6 week old pup right before he started kindergarten. 

I hope you all have a wonderful week.  I am working on knitting a scarf to go with a coat I just got so it gives me something to do when I sit down to watch tv.  I hope you are able to fit in a project that you enjoy.  Take care.  Nancy     

15 comments:

  1. Its been a while! Happy to see you again! That snowman sure has a cute nose. I just love doing projects like that and have a post, I just did the other day about these pots. I want to try & make them for Mother's Day.
    Your breakfast dish looks yummy, but we can't eat eggs over here. (health reasons) But OH, how I miss a good 'dippy' egg.
    Sweet pooch, I'm sure she's spoiled.
    see you again,
    XOXO susie

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an adorable snowman! We recently made a different kind of snowmen using terracotta pots...those things are so versatile! Would you consider sharing here? Pleeease?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2012/01/shine-on-fridays-11-and-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great little snowman!! And what a cute doggy!


    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. that snowman is adorable! this is something that i could give to my in laws who are very crafty people, and they haven't seen this yet! thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terra cotta pots and snowmen? You combined two of the cutest things! I love it! I found you through Skip to My Lou. Thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think breakfast for dinner is a wonderful thing, and this recipe looks like great inspiration.

    I am a new follower from Sarandipities, and would love to have you follow back.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a cute snowman! Found you through Creation Corner. Might have to remember to make one next year when I have all my snowman out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. the snowman is so cute!! and easy enough to make!
    My kids have been asking for bkfst for dinner..and I just couldn't come up with anything different...so thanks for this idea...I think they will like it!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Super cute snowman idea! I love working with the clay pots. We have a "breakfast dinner" at least once a week. I'm a new follower to you. Thanks for sharing you idea!
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your snowman is absolutely adorable!! What a fantastic idea. I love him!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Donna october 24 2015October 24, 2015 at 11:05 AM

    cute snowman. Just getting started in crafts thanks for the help

    ReplyDelete