Cherish Yesterday...Dream Tomorrow...Live Today

Sunday, June 16, 2013

Another Bracelet to Match and the Best Banana Cake Ever!

I was at it again this week!  I had a necklace and earrings I had purchased on clearance at(of all places) Cracker Barrel.  I had to try to match it and make a bracelet.  I call this my carnival set and it was a blast to replicate the colors and the really cool beads.  I headed to Etsy and found very similar beads very inexpensively.  I also used some of what I had.  When I received the beads I ordered, I got to work making dangles.  I am getting better at that!  I measured out enough silver chain for a bracelet using one of my favorites as a guide.  I put a clasp on each end and added all the dangles.  I am very pleased with the bracelet.  I think it matches beautifully. 

I joined the Craftaholics swap again this year and have already received my partner's info.  I decided to try a brand new jewelry technique on her gift.  It took me several tries, but it was interesting to attempt something new.  I will share that soon after she gets her gift.

  I went to the dollar store last week and found the rainbow pill holder for a dollar(shown to the right in the picture above).  It works wonderful for small jewelry findings.  I purchased the set of similar containers for ten dollars on sale.  I hadn't been to a dollar store in a while but I can see it pays to pop in there from time to time to see what you can re purpose.  I also got a graduation card for fifty cents for a distant relative and six c batteries for two dollars for my Mickey Mouse pendulum clock.  I felt like I had kind of scored! 

Last, but definitely not least, is the best banana cake I have ever had!  It is slightly labor intensive, but oh so worth it.  Preheat your oven to 275 degrees.  Grease a 9 x 13 pan.  Mash 4 very ripe bananas in a bowl; set aside.  In another bowl, mix 3 cups flour, 11/2 teaspoons baking soda, and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Set that bowl aside.  In a large mixing bowl, cream 3/4 cup butter and 2 cups of sugar until light and fluffy.  Beat in 3 eggs and 2 teaspoons of vanilla.  Alternately add your dry ingredients you had set aside and 1 1/2 cups buttermilk.  I didn't have buttermilk so I put 2 teaspoons white vinegar in a two cup measuring cup and added milk to the 1 1/2 cup mark.  I stirred it and let it sit a few minutes and it was just as good as buttermilk for this recipe.  After all of that is added, add your bananas gently folding them in.  Transfer your batter to your pan(it is a lot of batter) and put it in your oven.  The recipe I went from said to bake for an hour, but I baked it for an extra half hour.  My toothpick came out dry.  I cooled it and made a cream cheese icing and put it in the fridge.  It has received rave reviews from the boys and my husband.  Enjoy! 

I hope all the dads are having a wonderful Father's Day out there.  I have one week left and it is Summer Break for me.  Have a great week and take care.  Nancy 

8 comments:

  1. Got to try this out. Love Banana Cake.
    It looks delicious.

    Ellya

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE banana cake. So trying this one! Which dollar store did you find the pill container? You are the second person that has mentioned it and I can't seem to find one. I've only looked at the Dollar Tree, so maybe I'm searching in the wrong place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That banana cake looks and sounds delicious! That's a great tip about the vinegar in the milk if you don't have buttermilk! I'll have to remember that.
    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a fabulous week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love banana cake. I've never tried using buttermilk. Thanks for partying with us.

    Robin @ Fluster Buster

    ReplyDelete
  5. The bracelet and material are fine. I am interested in Mickey Mouse pendulum. I hope to create at my Jewellery Manufacturing in Mumbai

    ReplyDelete