Cherish Yesterday...Dream Tomorrow...Live Today

Monday, May 16, 2011

Good Eats and a Little Sewing

Happy Monday everyone!  Time is just a whippin' by.  I think that the older I get, the faster it goes!  This past weekend, my older son and his girlfriend went to her senior prom.  Being he graduated high school two years ago, he wasn't keen on attending this event, but he understood it meant alot to her.  She looked beautiful, he looked handsome and they had a good time.  It poured here all weekend and is predicted to rain pretty much all week.  We only had a few days off from the rain and it seemed nice.  Our river will swell again and, no doubt, more damage will happen. 

I wanted to share a couple of easy recipes with you.  On Saturday nights, we usually have a couple of homemade pizzas.  This past weekend, I made stuffed crust pizza and Cheeseburger Pie.  Both of these recipes are started with refrigerated biscuits/pizza dough products.  The pizza couldn't be easier.  You just take the tube of pizza dough and unroll it in a 9x13 pan sprayed with cooking spray.  Push it a little up the sides and line up string cheese sticks along the edges.  Pull the crust down to fully cover the cheese "logs" so now your crust edges are officially stuffed!  Fix your pizza any way you wish with sauce, cheese, and toppings.  Bake at 425 for 15 minutes or so.  It is pretty tasty!  
Now I can't comment personally on the cheeseburger pie because I don't care for hamburger(except at Ruby Tuesday-don't ask!) but it was a big hit with the guys.  This recipe starts with a 12 oz. can of refrigerated biscuits.  Pat 6 biscuits on the bottom and up the sides of a greased pie pan. Cut the remaining 4 biscuits in quarters and set aside.  Meanwhile, brown a pound of hamburger.  Drain if necessary.  Add some onion powder, garlic powder, salt and pepper to taste.  Stir in 1/3 cup ketchup and a couple of squirts of mustard.  Stir and heat until bubbling.  Spoon beef mixture into pie plate.  Arrange 7 American cheese slices on top of beef.  Place biscuit quarters, point side down, around the edge.  Bake at 400 for about 15 minutes until biscuits are golden.  I thought next time I would put a little pile of pickle relish in the middle to serve.  Also, you could switch out the cheese for swiss and leave out the mustard and add mushrooms or bacon.  This is just a starting off point.  That is why I love to cook.  I try to make each recipe my own. 

Speaking of making things my own, I sewed a big pouch for my knitting needles.  A while back, I made a knitting needle holder out of a placemat.  It held them all in sling-style and they were constantly falling out.  So, I decided to measure up the size I would need for my needles and construct a pouch.  I don't think I always go at these projects the right way.  I start out with a project in a book and sometimes I end up with nothing like what I started to do!  This pouch has a zipper and is lined.  It is roomy enough that I am also constructing a smaller pouch to put inside that will hold knitting needle end tips, yarn needles, cable holders and all the little accessories you need when you knit.  Stay tuned for that one-I am thinking of using buttons to close that pouch. 

I hope everyone has a great week.  I am hoping to do some tole painting this week.  I have the perfect project to work on.  Hopefully, I can give you a peek next Monday.  Dancing with the Stars is getting down to the final contestants.  Kirstie Alley is still there!  I also like the football player Hines.  I am anxious to see who wins!  I will be tuning in tonight!  Take care everyone.  Nancy

10 comments:

  1. Isn't homemade pizza just so much tastier? I am going to have to try the pie, I think it will go over very well in our house! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh that looks good. Glad I am just finishing up with dinner, because this would make me very hungry. Thanks for sharing at my newbie party. Please add my link or button. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at Cheeseburger Pie. My teen boys love cheeseburgers. This might be a nice twist, and it seems pretty simple. I love simple. (LOL) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheeseburger pie!! Never heard of that one! Interesting!

    Love your knitting needle pouch! Great idea to use a placemat.

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great week!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your knitting needle pouch...and those pizzas look DIVINE!! Thanks for linking @'Sew Cute Tuesday'!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How cute is that pouch? I'm so glad you linked up! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. you had me at PIZZA!! :) Thanks for linking up at the Sassy Sites Free For All party! When you get a chance, come back by and see what we've done for the American Crafter's competition... and maybe vote for us too! *wink*

    xoxo!
    Marni @ Sassy Sites!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great looking pouch the matching needles made for a really fun picture too :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so great! Thanks for sharing at Make Something Monday!!

    ~ Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hmm.. this looks so yummy!
    Thank you so much for linking up to {nifty thrifty sunday}!
    I hope to see you again tomorrow!
    xoxo,
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete